Frequently Asked Questions

  • What lessons are available?

    Telford & Wrekin Music offers music tuition across a wide range of instruments, including:

    • Woodwind – Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone, Recorder.
    • Brass – Trumpet, Cornet, Tenor Horn, French Horn, Trombone, Baritone, Euphonium, Tuba.
    • Strings – Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass.
    • Guitar – Classical Guitar (nylon strung), Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar (steel strung), Ukulele.
    • Piano and Electric Keyboard.
    • Percussion – Snare Drum, Drum Kit,
    • Music theory lessons
    • Voice

Not all instruments are available in all Telford & Wrekin schools and is subject to demand and availability of our music tutors.

  • How do I apply?

Complete our online application form

  • I've completed the application form, when will lessons start?

Once you have returned your Application Form along with the Direct Debit Mandate your child will be added to our Waiting List.  The main periods for recruitment are at the end of the summer term and start of the autumn term each year.  Most children begin lessons at the start of the autumn term, but our music tutors do take on new pupils throughout the year subject to there being sufficient pupil numbers to start a new music group in the school.

  • Where and when will lessons take place?

    Lessons take place in within your child’s school and during school hours where possible with some availability for after school music lessons.

    In secondary schools, our music tutors will where possible try to teach pupils on a rota basis to avoid missing the same class every week and will put up their timetable on the music notice board in the school for pupils to see when their lessons are

  • How many lessons will my child receive?

    Telford & Wrekin aims to deliver 30 music lessons per academic year (3 full terms), 10 lessons per school term.

    Our calendar of lessons can be downloaded from here 

  • How can I get an instrument?

    When first starting lessons it is not always necessary to buy an instrument.  Telford & Wrekin Music have a small stock of instruments which can be loaned to pupils on a first-come-first-served basis. There is a small hire fee for the loan, and parents are responsible for the care and maintenance/servicing of instruments and any fees this may incur. Loans may last as long as a pupil is receiving tuition for that instrument with Telford & Wrekin Music.

    Our instrument hire form is online here

    Please note this hire scheme is subject to availability of instruments in stock and also Telford & Wrekin Music do not loan Guitars, Ukuleles, Keyboards, Pianos or Percussion Instruments.

  • Do I need to buy any music books/additional accessories

You will be expected to buy music books and any additional accessories (i.e. valve oil for brass instruments, reeds for woodwind instruments, drumsticks for percussion instruments and rosin for stringed instruments etc). Tutors will write down the titles of books you will need to purchase in your child’s Music Journal card.

  • How will I know how my child is doing in their lessons?

    Every child who learns to play a musical instrument with Telford & Wrekin Music is provided with a free Music Journal (Log Card) each year. This card not only acts as an on-going record of work set by our tutors each week, it is also an excellent communication route between parents and tutors to ensure that everyone is kept up-to-date with both progress and events associated with your child’s lessons. In addition, our music tutors also hold an annual parents /carers evening each spring where you able to talk on a one to one basis about your child’s musical progress with their music tutor.

  • My child has missed lessons this term. Will I be credited?

    We offer 30 lessons in the academic year. There are more weeks than this in the music tutor’s timetables which allows us to ‘make-up’ for any lessons missed due to school closures or teacher absences if required. Please note that these may be made up at the end of the academic year and that not all terms are the same length.

    However, if we have offered a lesson which your child has not taken up, i.e. not turned up to without notice, then this may be counted as one of the 30 lessons offered. Our calendar of teaching weeks is online here.

    If at the end of the academic year you do not believe that your child has had 30 lessons offered to them, please contact us in writing or via email, detailing any dates on which lessons were not offered or rescheduled. We are able to check this against our music tutor’s records and any lessons owing will be credited.

  • What happens if the teacher is ill?

    If lessons take place in school and your teacher is ill, the Telford & Wrekin Music office or the music tutor will contact each school on that morning concerned to ask them to pass a message onto the students to inform them the teacher is ill. Please note this will not be counted as part of your guaranteed minimum of 30 lessons.

  • How do I pay?
    • Direct Debit:  When you pay via our direct debit scheme, the cost of lessons is split across the academic year. Payments start once lessons commence, stop in July and start again in September if lessons are continued. 
    • Single payment: You can make a single payment for the academic year which covers lessons from the date they commence to the end of Summer term.

You can view our price list here.

  • Does my child qualify for Remission of fees for their lessons?

If your child is eligible for free school meals you may qualify for a reduction of up to 100 per cent on your music tuition invoices for the first 30 lessons.  Remission is only available on Small Group Lessons.

If you are fostering or looking after a child who is in local authority care, they will be entitled to free lessons in school and the free loan of a musical instrument. You must provide details of the child’s social worker and contact details. Failure to provide this information will result in lessons being charged at full cost.

  • My child appears on the school register for Special Educational Needs - is it possible to have lessons?

Yes.  Music can be a way of engaging with students with Special Educational Needs whilst developing confidence and self-esteem. Please give details of any SENs where requested on the application form and note any requirements that the teacher will need to be made aware of.

  • What do I do if my child is leaving/moving school?

If your child is leaving or moving school please inform us before the end of term by email at telford.music@telford.gov.uk .  If your child is transferring schools and would like to continue lessons, we may be able to accommodate this

Please do NOT cancel your direct debit. The office will calculate any outstanding payments or refunds due and will process the cancellation of your direct debit.

  • How do I stop lessons?

If you wish your child to cease having lessons at the end of the current term, please contact us by email or in writing at least a half a term before the end of the term you wish to finish lessons with your name, your child’s name, your child’s school name and the reason for stopping your music lessons.

Contact details: Telford & Wrekin Music, The Place, Oakengates, Telford, TF2 6EP

Or email telford.music@telford.gov.uk

Please do NOT cancel your direct debit. The office will calculate any outstanding payments or refunds due and will process the cancellation of your direct debit.

Telford & Wrekin Music

We use cookies on this website to improve how it works and how it’s used.

Accept & Continue